Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I just saw the video of Kramer using the N word. The way I see it, that word will lose its shocking calue within the next 2 generations. I'm not sure if this happens everywhere, but at least in NY you hear it all the time specially on teenagers. The funny thing is that it is not just used among african-american teenagers but white and hispanic kids are using it alike. I know that the word itself has the most despicable origins, and it has always been used to denigrate a group of people, however because of pop culture (yeah, basically rap music) the word is loosing the power. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the word because of the connotation, however at the end it is just that, it is just a word that a group of black entertainers used so much that now is part of the popular culture.

If you watched Comic Relief last Saturday, you were exposed to the N word a good 100 times if not more, mostly (if not exclusively) by black comedians. The bits were funny, serious comments or critcism to races and America in general. I guess the use of the N word is ok, because they don't mean any harm, but I feel like it is harming people. It is giving an OK for anybody that wants to use that word. Should it be forbidden? Probably not, but don't make a huge deal because somebody famous (that is not black) used it.

I'm part of a minority, and the way I see it there's only one way to get out of the stereotypes: break them! work hard, prove "the man" wrong! You are the one that has the power to break the mold! it is possible!

Damn, now I'm doctor-phil-ing on the blog... i need a break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home