Wednesday, November 22, 2006

This city is awesome, no questions about it. Great food, the best museums, stores, etc. But there's always something that makes this city a shitty place to live: tourists. I know, I was one also, however some of the people visiting seem to forget that this is also a place were people actually work! I'm specifically talking about Times Square. This area has changed on an amazing way in the last decades. The first time I came to New York, TS was a hell whole. I think Taxi Driver is the perfect picture of that time: tons of sex shops, stripping joints and hookers. The Giuliani came on board and now TS is just another Disney! I work right on TS, and I mean right in the middle, I can see the New Year's ball dropping from my office's window.

The location is perfect for me, the subway is a couple of blocks away and it takes me almost no time to get home. The problem appears when I leave the station. A journey that should only take a couple of minutes can be as long as 5 or 10! how? Well, some tourists (I'm not blaming everybody) decide that the middle of the sidewalk is the perfect place to take a picture or to shop for the perfect tour on a double decker bus. But that's not all, oh no, if it is a big group they all feel the need stop at the same time so NOBODY can go thru!

Again, I was a tourist once, and I took pictures and the whole thing, but I tried to cause as little congestion as possible, some people are trying to get to work!

Please come to NY, enjoy the city, spend a lot of money so my taxes don't go up, but for the love of god, do not block the sidewalk! Now I'm on my way to see David Blaine and take pictures :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mistify said...

I have never been but should be coming there for business next summer, I promise I will stay out of the way of the locals.... oh and yes, office sex is hot

12:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I really need to come see NY. We have a ridiculous amount of tourists where I am as well. Summer is infested with them. I understand the annoyance.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Bribrannabanana said...

I'm from Cape Cod, so I grew up hating tourists - but if it's possible, I think NYC tourists might be even worse. People are supposed to leave their work behind when they go on vacation - not their brains!! There's no need to stop dead in the middle of a crowded sidewalk!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home